Friday, February 2, 2007

Frenchy's Backstory (Here it is!! Finally!)

I was born Francesca Alicia Facciano to Maria Facciano and Alberto Pagan. My grandfather, Fabio Facciano immigrated to Chicago in 1911 leaving is young wife Marissa, my grandmother in Basilicata, Italy their native land. After establishing himself as a hardworking member of the ACWA, (Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America) he sent for my grandmother and their son my uncle Antonio. Life for my grandparents was very good. They were able to establish themselves in a suburb just out of Chicago's east side, near Gary Indiana. My grandfather worked as a manager in a fabric factory. My mother, Maria, was born on October 5,1920. My family lived modestly until the great depression of 1930.
When the depression occurred, my grandparents were forced to move into the east city limits and lost nearly everything. My mother and grandmother began working alongside my grandfather and Uncle in the garment sweatshops of east Chicago. It was a hard life. My mother would leave work early to do the housekeeping and cooking before the rest of her family would return home.
In the summer of 1940, my mother Maria met a young Mexican stock boy at a small grocery store located near her home in the Mexican neighborhood. She was trying to catch a train home and tripped outside the store dropping all her bags. Alberto (as he would later tell her was his name) helped her up and helped her home. They became secret lovers and she became pregnant 2 months later. On August 23, 1940 I was born. My gran parents forbid my mother to see my father again.
My mother and I lived for the first four years of my life in Fort Wayne Indiana, with some close friends of my grandparents. They wanted to keep my mother as far away from the city until they could assimilate her into our community saying my father was an Italian who died in the war. The only thing I ever received from my father, was my middle name Alicia, the name of his mother.
At the age of four I would return to Chicago's east side and live with my grandparents and mother who never married. My uncle died before I was born after joining a mafia family. My grandparents raised me in a modest yet somewhat run down two story house. We had one car. I started school with Rizzo, Marty, and Danny and I would later meet Jan in 5th grade and Doody and Kenickie shortly after. But from the age of about thirteen, you could say we've been rather inseparable. Only no one knows about my Mexican background, they hardly even know my real name since they started calling me Frenchy from the first day they met me.

No comments: